You might have heard the recent legislation that relates to landlords and property managers’ new obligations and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.
The new laws came into effect on March 29 2021 and are designed to enforce that electrical certificate of compliance on rental properties are carried out every 2 years, including the safe working and maintenance of all electrical appliances including electrical installations and fittings. The act outlines that a registered electrical contractor or licensed electrician must be engaged to perform the safety checks and testing on the property.
Rental providers must ensure that an electrical safety check of all electrical installations and fittings in the premises (in accordance with section 4 of AS/NZS 3019 “Electrical installations—Periodic verification”) is conducted every two years by either:
- a Registered Electrical Contractor, or
- a licensed electrician that is employed by a Registered Electrical Contractor.
If requested, they must also provide the renter with the date of the most recent safety check, in writing.
If an electrical safety check has not been conducted within the last two years at the time the renter occupies the premises, the residential rental provider must arrange an electrical safety check as soon as practicable.
If the electrical safety check shows that electrical repairs are needed to make the property safe, a rental provider should hire a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) or a licensed electrician employed by an REC to do the repair work.
What do the Electrical Safety Checks need to cover?
- Electrical Appliances requiring cleaning – dust build-up on cooling fan inlets and all parts of heaters.
- Inspection of electrical appliances for damage to leads, plugs and casings that could expose live parts or cause a fire.
- Inspection of electrical wiring, socket outlets, switches and safety switches.
Upon inspection by a qualified electrician, you will be supplied with a certificate of Electrical Safety (COES), which includes:
- Qualified Electrician’s name and license number
- Electrical contractor
- Date of electrical inspection
- Detailed results – including any electrical repairs needed as well as any actions taken to address the required electrical repairs.
Prokop Electrical Services are fully qualified electricians undertaking electrical safety checks and are now servicing rental homes throughout Melbourne. Prokop Electrical Services are based in Bentleigh East and have been awarded Melbourne’s most recommended local electrician 2018, 19 and 20.
Get in touch for an obligation free quote.
Some of the areas we are servicing in Melbourne, however not limited to are:
- Glen Iris
- Mount Waverley
- Noble Park
- Patterson Lakes
- Port Melbourne
- South Melbourne
- St Kilda
- Black Rock