Beware the dangers of not identifying and replacing faulty power points

As power points age the plastic that they are made from becomes very brittle.

The brittle plastic is prone to cracking with normal use. As the plastic cracks the electrical components behind the power point can become exposed leading to direct contact with live electrical parts.

It is not worth the risk of your child, a family member or an employee accidentally coming into contact with these live parts as the result could be devastating. And, for such a low cost and quick way to rectify it is simply not worth putting off.

powerpoint heading

If you have faulty or damaged powerpoints contact Prokop Electrical so we can provide you with a solution.

Our certified electrical experts will:

  • Inspect and assess the existing power point to identify the issue and determine if a replacement is necessary
  • Ensure safety by turning off the power to the circuit where the powerpoint is located
  • Remove any faulty power points
  • Examine the wiring to identify any potential issues or hazards
  • Install new compatible power points ensuring the proper wiring and attachment
  • Test the new power point to ensure it functions correctly and meets safety standards

How to identify powerpoint faults

Electrical safety is paramount in any home, whether that home is shared by the family or you live alone. We’ve all had basic electrical safety rules – don’t use electrical appliances near water, don’t stick knives in toasters, don’t play with live wires – drummed into us since we were kids. But do we know what to do if a powerpoint stops working, or how to determine if it needs to be replaced?

A faulty powerpoint can pose a potential hazard but examining it to determine if it is faulty in the first place might also be hazardous if not done safely. In those situations, it may be better to just get it replaced. Let’s explore some of the tell-tale signs that your powerpoint has seen better days, and what you need to do.

1. It’s Just Not Working
If you’ve plugged an appliance into the powerpoint and that appliance is not turning on, either it or the powerpoint isn’t working.
Plug the item into another socket in your home and if it works there, you can safely assume the first powerpoint is no longer working and needs to be replaced.

2. Faceplate is Cracked or Discoloured
When the powerpoint face plate starts cracking, shows signs of brittleness, or starts to look discoloured, it not only looks aesthetically unappealing but also can be potentially hazardous. Dirt, dust and other particles can get into the cracks in the faceplate, build up over time and become a fire or electrocution risk.
Brittle and discoloured powerpoints are signs of long term use that could lead to chipping or cracking. Temporarily place some duct tape over it to stop yourself and others from using it, and call a licensed electrical contractor to replace it for you.

3. Power Outlet is Sparking
Powerpoints can often emit the occasional spark. If you pull out a cord while the power point is still on, or switch a power point off or on that has had a recent heavy electrical load in it, that can lead to the occasional spark.

However, if that power point has not been used very recently and is nevertheless emitting sparks, it’s likely that the wiring behind it has come loose or the power point itself is of a low quality. Either way, replacement by a qualified electrical contractor is the safest option.

4. Powerpoint is Smoking and a Fire Hazard
Sometimes, the same factors that might lead to your powerpoint sparking – dust or dirt build up, loose wiring, overloaded circuits – may instead lead to smoke being emitted.

If you can see or even smell smoke coming from the powerpoint area, remove any appliances currently plugged into the powerpoint (if you can). If it is safe to do so, feel the faceplate and the wall immediately surrounding it; if there is excessive heat and there is smoke coming out, there may be a fire behind the walls.

The faceplate may also appear like it has suffered some melting or show signs of having burned. You may be able to take care of the smoke with a fire extinguisher – do not douse it with water – as long as the volume of smoke is controllable.
If it’s too big, or you don’t feel comfortable taking care of matters yourself, certainly get out of the house and call 000 for your local fire brigade.

5. Plugs Don’t stay Secured in the Socket
If you try to plug an appliance in, and the plug feels loose or simply falls out, there is possibly some damage that has occurred to the powerpoint through natural wear and tear over years of continued use.

It’s very likely to be that the small springs and contact points that keep the plug secured and in place have loosened over time. Best to err on the side of caution and look at getting the

It is better to be safe than sorry

When it comes to replacing power points, it’s always best to keep the basic principles of electrical home safety in mind, and have an experienced, qualified electrical contractor take care of the job for you.

Prokop Electrical experts ensure new power points are installed safely and correctly and will issue you with a certificate of compliance on completion of the job showing that it was carried out by a licensed professional.

If you would like to discuss Prokop services contact us today and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Call 1300 PROKOP
Contact us